What the integration does
Our BambooHR integration allows you to keep your user base on Leapsome up to date - completely automatically! Once activated, the integration will automatically...
- create a new Leapsome user account for every new employee that you on-board on BambooHR - we will automatically synchronize the user's name, email address, job title, department and manager,
- send a Leapsome invitation to that user if the 'auto-invite' option is activated. Alternatively, you can manually invite users by re-sending open invites on your team admin page,
- create 'teams' on Leapsome for every 'department' that you have created in BambooHR. Members of the department will automatically be assigned to the corresponding team on Leapsome,
- assign direct manager rights on Leapsome based on your supervisor roles in BambooHR - no need to re-establish your reporting lines,
- update all of the above based on your changes in BambooHR. Changes may take up to 24 hours to be reflected on Leapsome.
Which data will be transferred?
The integration transfers a variety of employee attributes from BambooHR to Leapsome.
Please note that - if the integration is enabled - changes in BambooHR will override any changes manually made on Leapsome, apart from the team: Teams you manually added in Leapsome will remain active and not be changed by the integration, whereas teams that are synched from BambooHR would be overwritten if you change a user's team in BambooHR.
Just a note: If you already created teams manually in Leapsome before switching on the integration, please make sure that the teams you have in Leapsome are spelled exactly like in your HRIS (take into account spaces, commas, etc). Otherwise, the integration may add duplicate teams with a slightly different spelling to Leapsome.
The following attributes will be synchronized by default:
|BambooHR Attribute||Leapsome Attribute||Mapped by default?|
|Employee #||External ID||yes|
|First Name / Preferred Name||Firstname||yes|
|Status||(used to (de-) activate users)||yes|
|Supervisor ID||Primary Manager||yes|
|Hire date||Start Date||yes|
|Effective Date of Termination||End (termination) Date||yes|
You can also sync custom attributes from BambooHR with Leapsome. Learn more about this in this article. Suitable attributes from BambooHR, that you may want to include in the synchronization include:
|BambooHR Attribute||Leapsome Attribute (suggested)||Mapped by default?|
|Level (or similar)||Level||no|
|Custom Attribute||Custom Attribute, level, or team||no|
The synchronization updates your data on a daily basis, so changes in BambooHR may take up to 24 hours to be reflected in Leapsome.
Before you get started
- Please make sure that both 'status' (set to active) and email address need to be set in BambooHR, otherwise, the employee will not be synchronized.
- Please make sure that you are an admin in both Leapsome and BambooHR
Setting up the integration
- In your Leapsome Settings, navigate to 'Integrations' go to the 'HRIS' tab and select 'BambooHR'.
- Tick the 'Enable integration' checkbox and enter your BambooHR subdomain.
- Click 'Update & Synchronize'.
- You will be redirected to BambooHR (and might have to log in). Once authenticated, you will be redirected back to Leapsome and the initial sync will start automatically.
- If you enable the option 'Automatically send Leapsome invites to new employees', each user who is (newly) synced from BambooHR will automatically receive an invite to join Leapsome. If you disable this option, we will sync the employee data but not send an invite. You can then manually send the invite from the 'Edit users & teams' tab.
- If you enable the option 'Automatically reactivate Leapsome accounts of employees that are marked as active in the source system', Leapsome will automatically reactive a user once the status in BambooHR of that user got changed back to 'active' (e.g. after returning from parental leave).
Additional customization of the integration
Synchronizing custom attributes
Once your initial synchronization has been set up successfully, you have the option to include custom attributes from BambooHR (e.g. Cost Center, Employment Type, Subcompany, ...) to the synchronization. This article shows you how to set that up.
Exclude users from the synchronization
It is also possible to only synchronize only a part of your user base in BambooHR with Leapsome. This allows you to exclude people from automatically being imported to Leapsome, based on a custom attribute (e.g. certain countries or divisions). Before setting this up, please make sure you have successfully set up the general synchronization, and (if needed) also activated the synchronization of custom attributes.
Please make sure to set up a custom attribute in Leapsome that would map with the custom attributes from BambooHR so that users you don't want to exclude will have their profile information reflected in Leapsome. Any exclusion criteria you try to set up will not work if the custom attributes from BambooHR is not mapped to any custom attribute in Leapsome.
To then exclude specific user groups from the synchronization, follow these steps:
- Go to the Integration Settings in Leapsome and visit the HRIS Tab for BambooHR
- Click on 'Sync custom attributes'
- Within the list, find the attribute you want to base the exclusion on (e.g. Employment Status)
- Enter the value of the attribute that should be used to identify users for exclusion (e.g. Contractor) - Please note: This needs to be the exact same value as it can be found in BambooHR
- Confirm your entry by pressing enter
- Repeat this procedure for as many attributes as you need
- Save your changes at the bottom of the pop-up window
- Click 'Update & Synchronize'
Once this is defined, Leapsome will 'cut off' the integration for all users that match any of the defined exclusion criteria. This allows you to manually edit, or deactivate them, without the integration interfering with your manual changes.
Please note that 'excluding users' will not deactivate accounts that are already active in Leapsome. However, the 'exclusion rule' will make sure that for the excluded users, the connection to BambooHR is cut off, so that you can deactivate them manually, without fearing that they will be re-activated through the integration. For new users, who are set to be excluded, no Leapsome account will be created in the first place.
Troubleshooting and Frequently Asked Questions
I receive the error 'We recently had trouble synchronizing your employee directory. Please double-check your credentials'.
If you are currently setting up the integration, please make that you have only entered your subdomain in the respective text field in Leapsome (i.e. 'mycompany' instead of 'mycompany.bamboohr.com). Otherwise, Leapsome can not establish a connection to your BambooHR account.
If you have checked this, you may need to re-authenticate. To do this, click 'Update & Synchronize' in the bottom right corner of the BambooHR integration page in Leapsome. You may be redirected to BambooHR and asked to login. Afterwards, the synchronization should start. Please note, that this may take up to a few hours to be completed, depending on your team size.
The manager information shows incorrectly in Leapsome.
Within BambooHR you may have used the option to either set up a temporary manager, e.g. to cover a manager that is on parental leave, or schedule a manager change for a date in the future. Due to the architecture of data in BambooHR, Leapsome is only able to read the manager information, which lies the furthest in the future.
In case of the scheduled manager change, Leapsome will immediately show the future manager as the current primary manager. In case of a temporary manager change, Leapsome will ramin to show the manager, who is temporarily unavailable, as there already is a date of return scheduled in BambooHR.
In these cases, we recommend adding the respective missing manager as an 'additional manager' in Leapsome, to make sure all managers have access to the relevant employee data in Leapsome. This article shows you how this can be done.
The integration did not create a user profile for someone.
Please make sure that the user's status in BambooHR is set to 'Active'. If they have any other status, Leapsome will not create an account for them. If they are active, please double-check if you have defined any user exclusion criteria under 'Settings' > 'Integrations' > 'Sync custom attributes'. Lastly, Leapsome will not create a new profile for a user, if the email address they use in BambooHR is already taken by another Leapsome user. Go to 'Settings' > 'Users & Teams' > 'Actions' > 'Export', to quickly see if the email address is already taken by any other user profile.
A user has been deactivated in BambooHR, but still shows as active in Leapsome.
In such case, you most likely have excluded a group of people from the integration, that this user is a part of. Because of that, this user is no longer updated through the integration with BambooHR. You can double-check your exclusion criteria via 'Settings' > 'Integrations' > 'BambooHR' > 'Sync custom attributes'. To deactivate the user, just navigate to 'Settings' > 'Users & Teams' and deactivate the user manually.
Can I synchronize the team's profile pictures from BambooHR with Leapsome?
No, this is not possible. Each user has to update their own profile picture within the 'Profile Settings' in Leapsome.
How can I make sure that people who are on leave, or have left the company permanently don't have access to Leapsome?
By default, Leapsome will only activate user accounts for people who have the status 'Active' in BambooHR. If a user has any other status, their Leapsome account will be deactivated automatically.
My defined Custom Attribute from BambooHR is not showing within my users' profiles.
When adding a Custom Attribute from BambooHR, please make sure to define a target value in Leapsome for it, so that Lepsome knows where to display the data coming from BambooHR. To set this up, navigate to 'Settings' > 'Integrations' > 'Sync custom attributes'. On the right-hand side, you can select the fields 'Team', 'Level', or any Custom Attribute that you have set up as a target attribute. If you decide on a Custom Attribute, please make sure to create it first in Leapsome via 'Settings' > 'Users & Teams' > 'Actions' > 'Manage Custom Attributes', so that you can choose it from the drop-down menu within the integration settings. Then select the desired target attribute and save your changes. From the next synchronization on, Leapsome will add the selected information to your users' profiles.
We have external contractors within our BambooHR account. How can we make sure that they don't get access to Leapsome?
You can exclude groups of people, such as contractors, from the synchronization. Just follow the steps within this article's section 'Exclude users from the synchronization'.
Please note that once you have set this up, only the connection to BambooHR is cut off for these users. If you want to deactivate or delete their existing Leapsome accounts, you have to do this manually once within your 'Users & Teams' settings in Leapsome. For all new contractors, that will be added to BambooHR, no Leapsome account will be created once this exclusion rule is in place.
Can I delete user profiles through the BambooHR integration?
No. Leapsome will not delete any user profiles automatically. Instead, the integration will deactivate all profiles for users who are not 'Active' in BambooHR. If you want to delete any profiles, you have to do this manually within the 'Users & Teams' section in Leapsome.
There is no 'Termination Date' in BambooHR. Where does Leapsome pull this information from?
In BambooHR, there is an attribute 'effective date' which when reached, will prompt the status change to 'Terminated'. Therefore before the termination date is reached the ‘Termination date’ is visible as the ‘Effective Date’ of the Status Change to ‘Terminated’.