How do I set up the ideal Employee Engagement Survey?
To make sure that you make the most of our survey module, we summed up the ideal survey set up for you:
- The survey should run on a monthly basis and contain max. 10 questions to keep participation high
- If you have more topics you want to cover and run your survey at least quarterly, we suggest rotating your question catalogue, so that not the same questions are asked in every round
- There should be at least one open question that participants can use to give feedback not related to any specific question
- The questions should be asked anonymous and the anonymity threshold should be set to 3
Setting up the Engagement Survey in Leapsome
When you are setting up an ongoing employee engagement survey, we recommend to set up the following best practices:
Set up a back up owner in case one person leaves the company or is out of office - however bear in mind that they will be able to see all the results and change the settings
We offer a wide library of best practice questions for employee engagement surveys clustered by different categories
For the first engagement survey we recommend using a longer survey containing all areas that are relevant for you. We would recommend to choose about 30 questions.
Add open questions at the end
- What is going well?
- What would you like to improve?
We recommend to send the survey once in full length to have all questions covered and after the first iteration change the timing settings as follows:
This way the survey would run every 4 weeks, stay open for 7 days and just contain 10 questions (after the first round). Hence participation rates are more likely to remain high.
- In the menu point "participants", set the participants to "send survey to all active employees" if you want to run a company-wide survey. The default visibility setting is that the survey is anonymous.
- After round 1, each new round will give you an update on the trends and scores for each category.
- Identify improvement areas and derive action items based on them.
How many questions should the survey contain?
Depending on your cadence we suggest the following maximum number of questions:
- Weekly: Max. 5 questions
- Monthly: Max. 10 questions
- Quarterly: Max. 20 questions