About the integration
Our HiBob integration allows you to keep your user base on Leapsome up to date - completely automatically!
Once activated, the integration will automatically...
- create a new Leapsome user account for every new employee that you on-board on HiBob
- send a Leapsome invite to that user if the 'auto-invite' option is activated. Alternatively, you can manually invite users by re-sending open invites on your team admin page,
- create 'teams' on Leapsome for every 'department' that you have created in HiBob. Members of the department will automatically be assigned to the corresponding team on Leapsome,
- assign direct and secondary manager rights on Leapsome based on your supervisor roles in HiBob - no need to re-establish your reporting lines,
- update all of the above based on your changes in HiBob. Changes may take up to 24 hours to be reflected on Leapsome.
Which data will be synchronized?
The integration transfers a variety of employee attributes from HiBob to Leapsome. Please make sure to grant access to these attributes when setting up the integration.
Please note that - if the integration is enabled - changes in HiBob will override any changes manually made on Leapsome, apart from the team: Teams you manually added in Leapsome will remain active and not be changed by the integration, whereas teams that are synched from HiBob would be overwritten if you change a user's team in HiBob.
Just a note: If you already created teams manually in Leapsome before switching on the integration, please make sure that the teams you have in Leapsome are spelled exactly like in your HRIS (take into account spaces, commas, etc). Otherwise, the integration may add duplicate teams with a slightly different spelling to Leapsome.
The following attributes will be synchronized:
|HiBob Attribute||Leapsome Attribute||Mapped by default?|
|Employee ID||External ID||yes|
|Status||(used to (de-) activate users)||yes|
|Work Start Date||Start Date||yes|
|Reports to||Primary Manager||yes|
Second Level Manager
|Additional Manager||needs to be activated in Leapsome|
You can also sync custom attributes from HiBob with Leapsome. Learn more about how this can be set up in this article.
Setting up the integration
To set up the integration, you will need to generate an API key that gives you access to the following attributes:
- employee state (invited vs. uninvited)
- employee internal status (active vs. inactive)
- personal info (name, email)
- work info (department, manager, location)
API keys in HiBob are tied to the user that generated them. Please note that we currently do not support 'service users' for setting up the integration. In case you do not want to use your personal profile to create the API Credentials, feel free to create a new, regular user for this.
1. Grant permissions to the user setting up the integration
- Go to the 'Settings' > 'Permissions Group' section in HiBob and click on 'Create Group'
- Give this group a clear name, such as 'Leapsome API'
- Under 'Group members' click on 'Select people by name', and there select your User, that should perform the setup, from the list
- Confirm your settings by clicking 'Create'
- In the next screen, you can define the data this user can access
- Navigate to 'People's data' and click on 'People' in the list of Access rights.
- On the right hand side, please make sure that the following rights are checked:
- People > About > View selected employees' About sections
- People > Basic info > View selected employees' Basic info sections
- People > Employment > View selected employees' Employment sections
- People > User Data > View selected employees' User data sections
- People > Work > View selected employees' Work sections
- People > Work Contact Details > View selected employees' Work contract details sections
- By clicking on 'Access rights', you can select, which employees should have a profile in Leapsome
- If all of your employees should be synchronized with Leapsome, just select 'Everyone' here
- If you want to exclude certain users (e.g. contractors) from being synchronized with Leapsome, you can set up a condition to define the scope for the integration
- To do that, click on 'Select people by condition' and define rules, to define the group of people, for whom a profile in Leapsome should be created
- If you want to exclude contractors for example, your rule could look as follows:
- Confirm your settings by clicking 'Apply'
- You can double-check who is included by the rule you set up, by clicking on the small preview:
- Confirm your settings by clicking 'Save' and 'Apply'.
2. Generate API Token in HiBob
- Log in as the user you just gave permissions to
- In the top-right corner, click the name of the user and select API access
- Select Approved scope: Full employee read
- If you want to sync additional, custom attributes from HiBob, please make sure to also tick Approved scope: Employee fields read
- Copy the token
3. Finalize the setup in Leapsome
After generating your API token in HiBob, please visit Settings > Integrations in Leapsome, select the 'HiBob' tab, click 'Enable the integration', paste your API Token in the corresponding field and click 'Update & Synchronize'.
That's it! The initial synchronization has now been kicked off. User data is updated daily, and you can trigger additional synchronization runs by clicking 'Update & Synchronize'
- If you enable the option 'Automatically send Leapsome invites to new employees', each user who is (newly) synced from HiBob will automatically receive an invite to join Leapsome. If you disable this option, we will sync the employee data but not send an invite. You can then manually send the invite from the 'Edit users & teams' tab.
- If you enable the option 'Automatically reactivate Leapsome accounts of employees that are marked as active in the source system', Leapsome will automatically reactive a user once the status in HiBob of that user got changed back to 'active‘.
- If you enable the option 'Sync additional manager', Leapsome will automatically import the 'Second level manager' information from HiBob and show it in the field 'Additional Manager' in Leapsome. This article gives you an overview of what 'Additional Managers' can see in Leapsome.
Troubleshooting and Frequently Asked Questions
I receive an error message when trying to set up the integration.
Please make sure that within the 'Permission group' in HiBob, you gave 'Read' access to all required fields. If those attributes are not marked as readable for Leapsome, the integration will not work. Similarly, please make sure to check the box 'Full employee read' when generating the Token in HiBob.
Afterwards, please make sure to copy the API credentials over to Leapsome correctly. Any characters that may have been added by accident will invalidate your credentials. Once you have checked both, retry the synchronization by clicking 'Update & Synchronize' in Leapsome.
The integration did not create a user profile for someone in Leapsome.
Please make sure that the user's status in HiBob is set to 'Active'. If they have any other status, Leapsome will not create an account for them. If they are active, please double-check if the affected user would fall under any 'Exclusion rule' that you may have set up in the settings of the 'Permission Group' in HiBob. Lastly, Leapsome will not create a new profile for a user, if the email address they use in HiBib is already taken by another Leapsome user. Go to 'Settings' > 'Users & Teams' > 'Actions' > 'Export', to quickly see if the email address is already taken by any other user profile.
How can I make sure that people who are on leave, or have left the company permanently don't have access to Leapsome?
By default, Leapsome will only activate user accounts for people who have the status 'Active' in HiBob. If a user has any other status, their Leapsome account will be deactivated automatically.
Can I delete user profiles through the HiBob integration?
No. Leapsome will not delete any user profiles automatically. Instead, the integration will deactivate all profiles for users who are no longer 'Active' in HiBob. If you want to delete any profiles, you have to do this manually within the 'Users & Teams' section in Leapsome.