About the integration
Our Personio integration allows you to keep your user base on Leapsome up to date - completely automatically!
Once activated, the integration will automatically:
- create a new Leapsome user account for every new employee that turns 'active' in Personio,
- send a Leapsome invite to that user if the 'auto-invite' option is activated. Alternatively, you can manually invite users by re-sending open invites on your team admin page,
- create 'teams' on Leapsome for every 'department' that you have created in Personio. Members of that department will automatically be assigned to the corresponding team on Leapsome,
- assign direct manager rights on Leapsome based on your supervisor roles in Personio - no need to re-establish your reporting lines,
- update all of the above based on your changes in Personio. Changes may take up to 24 hours to be reflected on Leapsome.
Which data will be transferred?
The integration transfers a variety of employee attributes from Personio to Leapsome. Please make sure to grant access to these attributes when setting up the integration.
Please note that - if the integration is enabled - changes in Personio will override any changes manually made on Leapsome, apart from the team: Teams you manually added in Leapsome will remain active and not be changed by the integration, whereas teams that are synched from Personio would be overwritten if you change a user's team in Personio.
The following attributes will be synchronized by default:
|Personio Attribute||Leapsome Attribute||Mapped by default?|
|Status||(used to (de-) activate users)||yes|
|Hire date||Start Date||yes|
|Termination date||End (termination) Date||yes|
You can also sync custom attributes from Personio with Leapsome. Learn more about this in this article. Suitable attributes from Personio, that you may want to include in the synchronization include:
|Personio Attribute||Leapsome Attribute (suggested)||Mapped by default?|
|Level (or similar)||Level||no|
|Subcompany||Team / Custom Attribute||no|
|Custom Attribute||Custom Attribute, level, or team||no|
Please note, that the information 'Date of Birth' can currently not be synchronized via Personio.
Setting up the integration
Before you get started
Please make sure that you are an Admin both in Leapsome and Personio, or ask your Personio Admin to help you with this setup.
Generating the necessary credentials in Personio
First, you need to create a Personio Client ID and Personio Client Secret that will allow Leapsome to access your employee data in Personio
- In Personio, go to 'Settings' > 'API credentials'
- Click on the 'Generate new credential' button in the top right corner
- Within the sidebar, enter a name for the credentials (e.g. Leapsome Integration API) in the name field and select the integration from the 'Integration' drop-down menu
- Make sure, that for the Personal data type 'employees', the permission to 'Read' is checked for Leapsome - this should be already pre-selected
- In the 'Readable employee attributes' drop-down menu, make sure that all fields that should be synced by default can be accessed via the API as these are needed to successfully synchronize user data with Leapsome (see table in section 'Which data will be transferred?')
- Finish the credential creation by clicking 'Generate new credential'
Finishing the setup in Leapsome
- After generating your credentials, please navigate to Settings > 'Integrations' > 'Personio', click 'Enable the integration', paste your Personio Client ID and Personio Client Secret in the corresponding fields and click 'Update & Synchronize'.
- If you enable the option 'Automatically send Leapsome invites to new employees', each user who is (newly) synced from Personio will automatically receive an invite to join Leapsome. If you disable this option, we will sync the employee data but not send an invite. You can then manually send the invite from the 'Edit users & teams' tab.
- If you enable the option 'Automatically reactivate Leapsome accounts of employees that are marked as active in the source system', Leapsome will automatically reactive a user once the status in Personio of that user got changed back to 'active‘. This can be helpful for cases, in which colleagues take a sabbatical or parental leave.
And that's it - our platform will now automatically synchronize your user data from Personio.
Additional customization of the integration
Synchronizing custom attributes
Once your initial synchronization has been set up successfully, you have the option to include custom attributes from Personio (e.g. Cost Center, Education, Subcompany, ...) to the synchronization. This article shows you how to set that up.
Exclude users from the synchronization
It is also possible to synchronize only a part of your userbase in Personio with Leapsome. This allows you to exclude people from automatically being imported to Leapsome, based on a custom attribute (e.g. certain countries or divisions). Before setting this up, please make sure you have successfully set up the general synchronization, and (if needed) also activated the synchronization of custom attributes and defined a target attribute in Leapsome for each custom attribute you may want to use.
To then exclude specific user groups from the synchronization, follow these steps:
- Go to the Integration Settings in Leapsome and visit the HRIS Tab for Personio
- Open the custom attributes mapping
- Within the list, find the attribute you want to base the exclusion on (e.g. Employment type)
- Enter the value of the attribute that should be used to identify users for exclusion - Please note: This needs to be the exact same value as it can be found in Personio
- Confirm your entry by pressing enter
- Repeat this procedure for as many attributes as you need
Please note, that setting up an exclusion attribute will only cut off the connection between Leapsome and Personio for the affected users. It will not automatically deactivate the accounts of the excluded users. To deactivate these users, you once have to manually deactivate their accounts in Leapsome's 'Users & Teams' section. Due to the exclusion rule you have set up, their profiles will not be re-activated the next time the synchronization runs.