What the integration does
Leapsome integrates neatly with Slack and leads to significantly higher engagement of your team on Leapsome. The integration works both ways. Once integrated with Slack, Leapsome will occasionally send notifications.
Private notifications will only be visible for the receiving user (they will come from a Slackbot). Users can choose whether they want to receive Slack (or email) notifications in their profile settings. Notifications triggering a private notification include:
- Instant Feedback - receive a notification if a colleague has sent you feedback or if a colleague has requested feedback from you.
- Performance Reviews - receive notifications if you are required to complete a performance review for yourself, a direct report, or a peer.
- Upcoming Meetings - receive notifications for upcoming meetings with a reminder to check and update the agenda with talking points.
- Employee Engagement Surveys - receive notifications and reminders if your participation is required in an employee survey.
- Goal Digests - receive notifications updating you with the status and progress of the goals and OKRs that you are involved in.
Notifications in a public Slack channel
Notifications about public praise will be posted in a public channel that you can select during the setup.
Notifications about work anniversaries and birthdays will be posted in the same public channel as praise, which you can select during the setup. If you navigate in Leapsome to 'Admin settings' > 'Basic settings' you can activate the celebration feature via Slack. Leapsome pulls the birthdates and start dates of users from your entries in 'Users & Teams'.
Please note: If enabled, this will include all employees. It is not possible to exclude individual employees.
Slack Shortcuts for Leapsome
From within Slack, users can trigger core functionality with Slack shortcuts. To do that, they can simply click the lightning symbol ⚡️:
- To request feedback, simply click on Shortcuts in the message field and 'Request feedback'. Another window will open and you can enter your request: @Luise Could you please provide some feedback on our workshop?”. Our bot will take care of the request and send the request. You can also request feedback from multiple people at the same time.
- To give private feedback, click on Shortcuts in the message field and 'Give instant feedback to a teammate. Type your feedback message, e.g. “Great work on the Sales pitch!”. Our bot will send this as private feedback to the corresponding user.
- To send public praise, click on the Shortcuts button and add your note, e.g. “Amazing presentation today. You’re a hero!”. This will be treated as public feedback that your entire Leapsome team can see.
- To create a talking point for your next meeting click on the small flash button scroll down to Leapsome and click on "Add talking point". Select the meeting and add your note, e.g. “We need to talk about Q3 goals”. A new talking point will be created for the meeting you have selected.
Watch this video to see the Leapsome Slack integration in action:
How to set up our Slack integration
Before you get started
- Make sure, that you are an admin for Leapsome and for Slack to set up the integration. In case someone else is the admin for your Slack workspace, you can give them Admin rights to Leapsome for the time of the setup by visiting the 'Users & Teams' settings in Leapsome.
- Once you've finished the setup, it can take some time until the integration is synchronized. Keep this in mind before you notify your team about the new integration.
Setting up the integration
As an account admin, you can set up our Slack integration in three simple steps.
- First, navigate to 'Settings>Integrations > Slack' within Leapsome.
- Click the 'Add to Slack' button.
- You will be redirected to a Slack page where you have to grant Leapsome certain permissions and need to pick a channel that our bot can post to (for example #general). Leapsome needs these permissions to send notifications to your Slack users and respond to user commands in Slack. Your data is always secure and treated confidentially.
- Once submitted, our app will automatically match the accounts of your Slack users with your Leapsome user accounts - this can take a few hours. This synchronization happens on the basis of email addresses - please make sure you use company email addresses in both services.
You can also watch this video to follow along:
Upgrading from our old Slack app?
Please follow these steps:
- Uninstall the old Leapsome app from your workspace
- After that, install the new one by following the procedure above
User accounts will remain synchronized and there will only be minimal downtime.
Additional customization: Work anniversary and birthday celebrations
You can activate automated celebrations in Slack for work anniversaries and birthdays by visiting 'Settings> Admin Settings> 'Basic settings' in Leapsome and ticking the respective options. If you activate these features, you can also set up a company language, which will define in which language the celebration message will be shown in Slack. Similarly, you can set up a primary time zone, to make sure that the notification is sent during working hours for this time zone.
Frequently Asked Questions
I just started setting up Leapsome - Can I start using the Slack integration right away?
The Slack integration can be set up right away, in case you are an Admin for both your Slack workspace and Leapsome. However, it will only work for users that have the status 'active' in Leapsome, which requires that they have logged in at least once to the platform. Also, once you have set up the integration, all users will start receiving notifications in Slack. We thus suggest you to first invite your team to Leapsome and communicate the launch of Leapsome to then activate the Slack integration.
The Slack integration does not work for some users. Why could that be?
Please check, that the user uses the same email address in Leapsome and Slack. In addition, users that were just recently added to Leapsome may take up to 24 hours, in edge cases up to 72 hours, to be synchronized with Slack.